"Movement as such may take the place of many remedies, but all the remedies together can never take the place of the effect of movement." (Tissot, French physician)
The Department of Physical Education / DPE/ was established at Technical University in Košice in 1952.
The main goal of the Department of Physical Education and Sports, Technical University of Košice is to meet the expectations of students by providing them with a wide choice of activities within the physical education course as well as teachers by offering them a variety of different opportunities to exercise and relax. The Department activities are aimed at the improvement of students’ physical condition and performance.
Other targets of the Department of Physical Education and Sports are as follows:
- to focus on a specific kind of physical activity or sport in order to broaden the theoretical knowledge and to improve the actual performance at it.
- to provide training for top sportsmen that represent the University in national and international sports competitions (Slovak Academic Championship, Slovak University Championships and World University Championships).
- to offer the opportunity to exercise regularly and relax to all members of staff.
- to organize sport events (Aerobics by the sea, Water Sports Summer Camps, Swimming and Diving Summer Camps, Skiing and Snowboarding Training Winter Camps, etc.) and sport competitions according to the calendar and list of important sport events.
- to offer sports activities at the clubs ATU, SLAVIA TU and SKI UNI Košice
- to put together and manage the sports team that represent the University within the above-mentioned sports associations and to attract new members.
- Employees of DPE contribute to scientific development in the Slovak republic by their active research and publication.
This system is open and can be changed by manager of DPE according to actual facilities, conditions and requests for individual sports.